Merumaya skincare Q&A
Q&A with Maleka Dattu owner of Merumaya skincare
Being surrounded by so many beauty products day in day out, one brand that has really impressed me is Merumaya. The products are affordable yet deliver amazing results. I thought it would make a nice change to find out a bit more about this brand and how these amazing products were created?
Owner and creator of Merumaya, Maleka Dattu was part of the team that grew Clinique to the number one position in the UK. After that she established the market positioning and growth of Origins while General Manager UK/ROI; latterly, Senior Vice President/General Manager for North America, based out of New York City. At Lancôme, she provided a retail and consumer focus to revitalise engagement and the top and bottom line performance; she was credited by many for their most successful skincare launch (Genefique), in the UK’s recorded history. So who better to start up her own beauty brand.
After 27 happy and successful years in corporate life, she decided to fulfil her dream and began the creation of Merumaya Integrative Effective Skincare® which has been in the works since spring 2010. Merumaya is now available in select John Lewis stores and John Lewis online.
- Prevent & Perfect Skin Aging – Integrative concept
- Performance – use high numbers of robustly clinically tested actives and at the same concentrations as they were tested
- Pleasure – over decades we got very pious about skincare. I want to delight your senses and the Signature Essence Blend contains nature identical molecules of scents that were used in times gone by to raise confidence and attraction. It is unique, it makes you feel fabulous and definitely a step away from the somewhat boring and safe ‘citrus’ that is used as a standard because it is inoffensive. Also, the textures of the products are sensual, velvety and silky. Sensorial products that engage and delight your senses
- Practicality – we all want to look youthful for longer but there is no need to spend more of your precious time doing it. I wanted to save you time and make it super easy for your to take care of your skin. An example is our Melting Cleansing Balm: in a tube, no ‘warming’ required, melts, milks, easy to remove and saves you at least 45 seconds on each cleanse. The Bi-Phase Plus Eye Make Up Remover has a flip top lid so that you cannot drop it (and then have to chase all over the floor to pick it up!)
- Price – I was determined to bring to market products that can rival any of those in the luxury sector but at a price that meant customers can afford to use them all the time and not just when times are good. It has been the hardest because I refused to compromise on ingredients and formula. So, I put the money into the product and not packaging or advertising and I am prepared to take a much lower margin for myself, in the hopes that this will grow to be the next big British brand…spread the word please!
- Patriorism – this is a British brand that is Made in GREAT Britain. I am a London girl and it is important that we all do our bit to support our own economy and jobs. For me it is spending my money on British businesses that make and supply my products and for all of us, we can at least give British brands a try and if they stand up to the test, continue to buy them.